1286 University Ave #807
San Diego, CA 92103
Jeremy Rappoport is a practical, experienced, university educated horticulturist, certified and registered consulting arborist, tree risk assessor qualified (TRAQ), and California C-27 landscape contractor. With four decades experience as a construction and land development professional for private and public master community developers and homebuilders, Mr. Rappoport’s career includes managing, supervising and consulting on landscape, arboriculture, horticulture, land development and infrastructure issues. Mr. Rappoport’s analytical abilities and problem solving skills enable him to comprehend pertinent data and critical issues. Decades of industry experience combined with professional credentials enable Mr. Rappoport to convincingly communicate his opinions in simple, decisive, and convincing language.
Areas of Expertise
Certified and Registered Consulting Arborist for:
- Tree inventories and reports
- Tree monitoring and best management practices (BMP) for tree protection during construction
- Heritage tree, wholesale ornamental tree and palm tree nursery appraisals
- Fire damaged tree and landscape appraisal reports
- Tree health and tree risk assessment inspections and report
- Tree encroachment and trespass issues
- Third party independent peer review
- Third party field observations, monitoring and reports
- Root growth, infrastructure and sidewalk damage issues
- Litigation support and expert witness for trip, slip and fall, plant selection, construction defect, maintenance and related issues
Tree Risk Assessor and Professional Horticulturist for:
- Tree risk assessment and reports
- Horticultural based landscape design and plant selection, location, and maintenance trouble shooting
- Wholesale tree and plant material procurement
- Litigation support and expert witness for tree risk and hazard assessment, forensic analysis, tree and plant related issues.
C-27 Landscape Contractor Consultant for:
- Landscape and irrigation design and maintenance issues
- Project and construction management services
- Operational testing and Irrigation trouble shooting
- Landscape subcontractor – general contractor conflicts
- Industry, municipal and trade association standards
- Landscape contractor standard of care
- Litigation support and expert witness for landscape, installation, contracting, standard of care, irrigation, maintenance, and related landscape issues
Land Development Consultant for:
- Grading, soil subsidence, retaining wall, drainage, water intrusion, infrastructure issues
- Land development budgets, due diligence as required for entitlements, permit acquisition, critical path construction schedules, tentative and final map issues
- Biologic mitigation and restoration projects
- General contractor-subcontractor conflicts and standard of care
- Litigation support and expert witness for land development entitlements, permits, maps, plans, project and construction management
Expert Witness Consulting Services
Mr. Rappoport consults for defendant and plaintiff attorneys on landscape, arboriculture, horticulture and land development infrastructure issues. Cases may involve satisfaction or failure to meet the professional or industry standard of care, or failure to adhere to jurisdiction or industry standard(s). General description of cases involve:
- Plaintiff sued a Phoenix apartment Owner, property management company and landscape maintenance contractor for injuries sustained from slip and fall while walking on an irrigation flooded sidewalk.
- Plaintiff sued City of Phoenix for injuries due to slip and fall hazard created by substandard irrigation practices at a city park.
- Plaintiff sued the City of West Covina for injuries sustained from tripping on a raised sidewalk panel due to street tree root encroachment.
- Defendant storage facility sued by neighbor for tree pruning and loss of value
- Defendant sued by neighbor for property damages incurred during retaining wall construction, damaged tree hedge and tree appraisal.
- Plaintiff sued the City of San Diego for injuries sustained when struck by a wrong way driver on a one-way street on Fiesta Island due to a shrub blocking a sight line.
- Plaintiff sued California State University San Diego for injuries sustained from falling on a sub-standard temporary paved sidewalk.
- Plaintiff sued a City in Southern California for injuries sustained due to plant material impairing the visual sightline, sub-standard of care, Santa Monica, CA.
- Defendant lodge owner was sued for a tree failure onto adjacent neighbor in Sequoia National Park.
- A guest sued defendant Sea World for a palm frond accident.
- Plaintiff sued multiple defendants for a tree limb falling on and killing their son, sub-standard of care, Irma, South Carolina.
- Defendant homebuilder sued for fence, wall and slope erosion in Carlsbad, CA.
- Plaintiff sued CalTrans for personal injuries when her automobile struck a Eucalyptus tree along a highway right of way.
- HOA and tree service contractor defendant in a Coral tree limb failure, plaintiff personal injury.
- Plaintiff sued the defendant for a “spite hedge” grown to block the plaintiffs view.
- Defendant City of San Diego sued by plaintiff for injuries sustained by falling palm frond.
- Plaintiff and defendant cases involving trees trespassing property lines.
- Plaintiff and defendant cases involving standard of care for tree pruning and removal.
- Defendant case involving HOA and tree service contractor standard of care.
- Plaintiff and defendant cases involving tree replacement and appraisal.
- Defendant and plaintiff cases for tree decline, loss of value due to drought, disease and bark beetle damage.
- Trip, slip and fall plaintiff and defendant cases due to:
- Uplifted sidewalks due to tree roots.
- Tree grates and drainage grates, improper plant material, irrigation components, operation and maintenance.
- Turf grass, slope and site conditions. Personal injury during construction and development.
- Depressions, subsidence and obscured holes
- Plaintiff developer sued defendant city for sub-standard entitlement process for subdivision mapping.
- Defendant landscape contractor sued by property owner for property line and permit issues.
- Plaintiff property owner sued general and landscape contractor for negligent contracting, procurement and installation of custom landscape at Santa Luz, CA.
- Plaintiff and defendant cases involving soil subsidence, erosion, drainage and grading issues.
- Defendant and plaintiff cases involving substandard landscape contracting methods.
- Property devaluation due to landscape design and maintenance issues.
- Defendant and plaintiff cases involving wholesale nursery plant and insurer issues.
- Defendant and plaintiff cases regarding golf course turf and slope issues resulting in personal injury.
Commercial & Residential Consulting Services:
- Consulting arborist for PCL Construction Inc., UCSD-Trident Center Renovation on campus at UCSD. Provided tree inventory and report on tree retention, protection and relocation.
- Consulting arborist for Atkinson / Clark, GC firm for the GSA San Ysidro – U.S. Port of Entry – Phase 3, existing tree protection project, site inspection, inventory, analysis and report on retention and tree protection BMP’s.
- Consulting arborist for the San Diego Zoo, performed tree risk assessment, updated their tree inventory and tree risk assessment report.
- Consulting arborist for Zephyr Homes “Resort Specific Plan”, a proposed five-star hotel development along the coastal bluffs, Del Mar. CA.
- Developed a landscape and irrigation performance report and recommendations for Parkview at Dennery Ranch HOA.
- Developed a Torrey Pine tree protection plan required by the City of Del Mar for two custom homes developed by Zephyr Partners.
- Project and construction management services for Leisure World, Mutual #12, Seal Beach, including 15-acre irrigation system re-design and turf renovation project.
- Tree inspection and arborist report for Queensgate HOA, Escondido, CA.
- Landscape appraisal for Construction Services Company and Capital Insurance Group for property damage caused by Pocket fire, Sonoma county, CA.
- Tree and landscape appraisals for Kemper Insurance Services for the property damage caused by the Thomas wildfire, Ventura and Santa Barbara, CA.
- Landscape plant material health assessment and report, Talega HOA, San Clemente, CA.
- Tree risk assessment and report on a Eucalyptus tree for the Ocean Beach Community Garden.
- Field inspection, tree inventory and health assessment for trees located in the median of South Mission Blvd. Fallbrook, CA. for the Fallbrook Beautification Alliance.
- Provided field inspections, health assessments and reports for fire damaged willow and eucalyptus habitats for Aviara Premier Collections HOA, Carlsbad, CA.
- Provided a field inspection, developed a tree inventory and health assessment report for median street trees on South Mission Blvd, for the Fallbrook Beautification Alliance.
- Conducted a field investigation of damaged trees in the Butte Fire for Gomez Trial Attorneys.
- Provided arborist consultant inspection and report to Zephyr Homes for submittal to the City of Del Mar.
- Provided inventory and appraisal services for American AgCredit for a 20-acre ornamental palm grower in Thermal, CA.
- Conducted a field assessment of property damaged caused by neighbors tree for Pacific Specialty Insurance.
- Conducted a field investigation to determine cause of tree damage for United Specialty Insurance Company.
- Investigated and determined cause of vandalized heritage Torrey Pine tree for a private property in Solana Beach, CA.
- Conducted a field investigation to determine cause of tree failure for AIG Insurance in Del Mar, CA.
- Conducted a field investigation to determine property damage caused for Farmers Insurance in Santa Ana, CA.
- Provided tree inventory and risk assessment consultant services to Point Loma Tennis Club, a 388-unit condominium association in San Diego.
- Developed a tree inventory and certified arborist report to PlanCom, Inc. for submittal to the City of San Diego for entitlement and permitting purposes.
- Developed a tree inventory and appraisal for The Palm Tree Company Kentia palm tree wholesale nursery grower in Encinitas, CA.
- Provided sub-consultant services to Estrada Land Planning for the City of San Diego Torrey Pines Median street improvement project.
- Provided sub-consultant services to Kimley-Horn & Associates, Civil Engineer for the SANDAG South Bay BRT Project,
- Developed a tree inventory and wholesale, retail and liquidation appraisals for Links Nursery, a 91 – acre wholesale palm grower located in Thermal, California.
- Provided sub-consultant services to Beta Engineering, general contractor for the Suncrest Substation, a portion of the SDG&E Sunrise Power link Project.
- Consulting arborist provided tree inspection, inventory and report to Campland on the Bay, a fifty-acre RV campground located on Mission Bay, San Diego.
- Landscape and consulting arborist, provided landscape inspection and report recommendations for De Anza Bayside Village, Newport Beach.
- Landscape and development consultant to Cassidy Turley Property Management for retaining wall and storm drain flooding issues.
- Landscape and horticulture consultant for a private 1.5-acre estate in Beverly Hills for project and construction management landscape renovation.
- Tree protection monitoring, tree health and tree risk assessment arborist reports for San Diego residential clients.
Significant Prior Achievements
Director of Land Development for K. Hovnanian Homes:
Managed, supervised and motivated a team of direct reports for multiple land development projects throughout Southern California.Projects included developing raw, entitled land and blue top lots for single and multi family subdivision housing.
- Created a field land development construction department,
eliminated $700K in annual construction management consultants.
- Supervised and mentored a team of eight direct reports.
- Developed pro-forma development budgets for land acquisition.
- Responsible for tri-annual budget updates with the Regional
- Satisfied conditions to obtain Tentative and Final Maps.
- Procured professional consultant contracts.
- Contract administration, change orders and invoice approval.
- Developed critical path development schedules.
- Owner liaison with jurisdictional agencies.
- Coordination and negotiation with offsite neighbors.
Director of Operations for Starwood Santa Fe Valley Partners LLC:
Supervised daily operations for development and construction of The Crosby Estate in Rancho Santa Fe, an 800-acre master planned, 440 private custom lot community and The Crosby National Golf Club, a PGA style private golf course, for Starwood Santa Fe Valley Partners LLC.
- Created transparency in scrubbing and managing a $290M budget.
- Procured and managed a team of professional consultants.
- Assembled bid packages, created spreadsheets and purchased
sub-contractor construction contracts.
- Developed, managed and maintained construction schedules.
- Owner liaison with jurisdictional agencies for entitlement
- Member of the Crosby HOA and Crosby Design Review Committee
reviewed and approved submittals for proposed custom estates.
- Integrated activities of five merchant builders into the Crosby
master planned community and design guidelines.
- Supervised transplanting, boxing and reintroduction of
75-60”-120” boxed specimen trees throughout the community.
- Managed restoration and biologic mitigation of degraded vernal
pools, endangered Manzanita species, upland, and riparian habitats.
Grading and Landscape (Offsite) Superintendent for Continental/D.R. Horton Homes:
Supervised the daily activities of site subcontractors in developing Rancho Carrillo, an 800-acre master planned community in Carlsbad, California. As an offsite superintendent, supervised construction sub-contractors in trades including:
- Mass and precise grading improvements.
- Sanitary sewage systems, potable and reclaimed water systems,
storm drainage systems.
- Dry utility infrastructure systems including gas, electric,
telco, CATV, security and fiber optic systems.
- Street and road improvements including sub-grade, balance, base
and pavement, curb, gutter and sidewalk.
- Retaining and freestanding masonry walls and wrought iron
- Security automatic gate operating systems.
- Common area, public and private landscape and irrigation
- Monument entries and enhanced flatwork/carpentry/masonry
- Biologic mitigation projects under jurisdiction of the Army Corp
of Engineers and State of California agencies.
- Managed inspection and conveyance of common area parcels to the
Home Owner Association.
Represented the Baldwin Company (as an employee) in small claims court as a defendant versus a homeowner plaintiff alleging defective slope planting and irrigation, court found in favor of the defendant.
Mediated a construction defect case involving settlement of a double-stacked 25’ high structural retaining wall with consultants, contractors and agency representatives saving $200K in legal expenses for K. Hovnanian Homes.
Resolved an environmental dispute with agency representatives resulting in an environmental agreement and issuance of building permits, providing $35M in sales revenue for K. Hovnanian Homes.
Founded Landscape Horticultural Services, #436000, a full service landscape design-build, consulting, construction, and maintenance-contracting firm, San Diego, California.
Rappoport Development Consulting Services LLC 8/2008- Present
K. Hovnanian Homes, Irvine, CA. 10/2005 – 7/2008
Starwood Santa Fe Valley Partners LLC, Rancho Santa Fe, CA. 11/1999 –9/2005
Continental – D.R. Horton, Carlsbad, CA. 9/1996–10/1999
Valley Crest General Engineering Contractor, Santa Ana, CA. 6/1996 – 8/1996
Terra Firma Landscape, San Diego, CA. 5/1993 – 5/1996
Arid-West Landscape, San Diego, CA. 8/1990 – 4/1993
The Baldwin Company, San Diego, CA. 10/1985 – 8/1990
Landscape Horticultural Services, #436000 San Diego, CA. 8/1980 – 9/1985
Bachelor of Science in Ornamental Horticulture from California State Polytechnic University Pomona, Cum Laude, emphasis in landscape architecture and landscape contracting. Graduated 06/14/1980.
- Molder Brothers Landscape Contracting Scholarship, spring of 1980.
- Elise Bachelor Horticulture Scholarship, spring of 1980.
- Senior thesis: design, procurement, and construction of a research greenhouse for the Cal Poly Agronomy department, 6/14/1980.
- Registered Consulting Arborist (RCA) #564, American Society of Consulting Arborists (ASCA).
- C-27 California State Landscape Contractor, #436000 obtained 3/19/1983
- Certified Arborist #WE-9083A, International Society of Arboriculture, (ISA)
- Tree Risk Assessor Qualified, 10/28/2020, ISA
- California DGS Certified Small Business (SB) #1665480
- Certified A & E Bench Consultant for SANDAG #216240
- City of San Diego Emerging Local Business Enterprise Certification (ELBE) #13RD0848.
Seminars and Specialized Training
- Eucalyptus webinar with Drs. Nicolle and Ritter, 7/14/20 – 7/16/20, discussed Eucalyptus, Corymbia and Angophora species in Australia and California.
- ISA tree risk assessor re-certification training, Irvine, CA. 2/3/2020.
- 30th Annual PTCA Seminar and Field Day, “”Celebrating our 30 years of PTCA Seminars”. 8/16/19 – 8/17/19
- 29th Annual PTCA Seminar and Field Day, “Under the Microscope”, A closer look at trees and pests. 8/17/18 – 8/18/18.
- 83rd Annual Conference & Trade Show, Western Chapter International Society of Arboriculture, May 10, 2017. Urban Tree Inventories, Mr. Johan Osterg, Level 3 Inspections, “A Non-Invasive Approach to Tree Risk Mgnt”, Mr. Robert Booty, Managing Landscapes Irrigated with Recycled and Desalinated Water”, Ms. Nelda Matheny.
- Tough Trees Made Easy: Pines, Oaks, Eucalypts, and Figs, Learn to ID species in the most difficult group of trees. Dr. Matt Ritter & Dr. Jenn Yost, California State Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo. Presented at San Diego Botanical Gardens, 6/28/16.
- Trees and Drought: Using Water Wisely, Western Chapter International Society of Arboriculture. Featured tree response to water deficits, measuring soil moisture levels, managing drip irrigation, pests and water stressed trees. November 17, 2015, Escondido, CA.
- Tree Risk Assessment Qualification training and recertification, Western Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture, Oct. 26-28, 2015, Moreno Valley, CA.
- 26th Annual Seminar and Field Day, “Tree Vitalization”, topics included tree reduction concepts and pruning guidelines, pest and disease update, tree worker fatality review, tree structural issues and redwood tree decline issues. Sponsored by The Professional Tree Care Association of San Diego and the City of San Diego Parks and Recreation Department. 8/21/15.
- Documenting Evidence: Practical Guidance for Arborists. Dr. Julian Dunster, 2/23/15, Oceanside, CA., Western Chapter International Society of Arboriculture.
- Structural Pruning, November 18, 2014, Western Chapter International Society of Arboriculture.
- 25th Annual PTCA Seminar and Field Day, topics included mulches, water management for trees, pest identification and management, soil management. Sponsored by Professional Tree Care Association of San Diego and the City of San Diego Parks and Recreation Department. 8/22/14
- Botanical Skills, Palomar College, San Marcos, CA. December 17, 2013. Dr. Matt Ritter, Biology Department, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo.
- Tree and Solar Power: Natural Partners, October 17, 2013, San Diego, CA. Sponsored by the California Urban Forest Council. (CAUFC)
- 24th Annual PTCA Seminar and Field Day, topics included future trees, invasive diseases moving to the urban forest, management of oak trees, overview of tree risk assessment, BMPs, arboriculture and the law, sampling for diagnoses of insect and disease problems, gold spotted oak borer research update. Sponsored by the Professional Tree Case Association of San Diego, City of San Diego Parks and Recreation Department, University of California Cooperative Extension. 8/16/13.
- Trees Make Dollars and Sense, The Role of the Appraiser, a seminar sponsored by the Inland Urban Forest Council (IUFC), 6/13/13
- American Society of Consulting Arborist Consulting Academy Training, February 25-28, 2013.
- Palm Tree Management for Southern California, a seminar sponsored by the Professional Tree Care Association of San Diego, The City of San Diego Parks and Recreation Department, The University of California Cooperative Extension. 8/17/2012.
- California Tree Failure Report Program Regional Seminar. Topics included report of notable tree failure, recent tree failures at the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens, Illusions and Consequences in Tree Risk Assessment, using cabling, bracing and crown reduction to preserve structurally deficient trees, palm failures, canker rots and other decay fungi in Oaks, and review of the International Tree Failure Database. Sponsored by the Western Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture, Descanso Gardens, 4/4/2012.
- Eucalyptus Tree Identification and Biology, Dr. Matt Ritter, California Polytechnic University, San Luis Obispo, CA. San Diego Museum of Natural History, December 15, 2011.
- Tree Risk Assessment In Urban Areas and the Urban/Rural Interface: Dunster, J. 2009, Silverton Oregon, Pacific Northwest Chapter, International Society of Arboriculture, 6/21/11
- Western Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture annual seminar. Topics included the evolution of arboriculture, increasing public and media awareness of the benefits of trees, navigating the political process, and succession planning for urban forestry. Sponsored by the Western Chapter of the International Society of Arboriculture. 5/11/2011.
- 21st Annual PTCA Seminar and Field Day. “It’s a Risky Business”. Topics included tree risk assessment and management, why trees get diseases, new techniques for detecting internal trunk decay, developing proactive and defensible tree risk assessment programs, managing trees as assets with inventory programs, and types of risk associated with insect invasion. Sponsored by the Professional Tree Care Association of San Diego, U.C. Cooperative Extension and the City of San Diego Park and Recreation Department. 8/20/2010.
- Tree Risk Assessor Certification Training, Los Angeles, CA. Northwestern Chapter of the ISA, June, 2010.
- Video deposition training seminar, sponsored by Digital Evidence Legal Services, April, 2010.
- Certified arborist testing, Riverside, CA. ISA, 2009.
Committees, Presentations and Publications
- Former member of the Department of Ornamental Horticulture Advisory Committee, Cuyamaca College, San Diego, California.
- Green Infrastructure – New Tools for Measuring the Value of San Diego’s Urban Forest. Center for Sustainable Energy California, San Diego, CA. Title: “Trees in the Urban Landscape, How Tree Selection, Location and Cultural Requirements Influence Tree Benefits and Risk” 08/10/2011
- The Arboricultural Consultant, Issue Three, 2011, by the American Society of Consulting Arborists: Trees and Litigation: Considerations for Defendant and Plaintiff Cases.
- PTCA (Professional Tree Care Association of San Diego) May 2012 Newsletter “Construction Development vs. Oak Trees – Can the Two Co-exist?”
- International Society of Arboriculture (ISA)
- Professional Tree Care Association of San Diego (PTCA)
- California Landscape Contractor Association (CLCA)
- American Society of Consulting Arborists (ASCA)